I stumbled upon this interview with Microsoft’s Anders Hejlsberg on generics in modern languages. This is not new: Anders talked to Bruce Eckel for this seven-part interview back in 2003, and the generics conversation is at the end of that series.
The full series is
- Part I: The C# Design Process
- Part II: The Trouble with Checked Exceptions
- Part III: Delegates, Components, and Simplexity
- Part IV: Versioning, Virtual, and Override
- Part V: Contracts and Interoperability
- Part VI: Inappropriate Abstractions
- Part VII: Generics in C#, Java and C++
The interviews are quick reading, and worth the time to peruse.